Oil pulling has roots in Ayurvedic medicine. It is the process of swishing oil around your mouth every day. This simple process can make you healthy in many ways. In Ayurveda, oil pulling is referred to as Kavala Gandoosha or Kavala Graha.
Oil-pulling may sound weird if you are hearing this term for the first time. Well, it is a traditional Ayurvedic detoxifying technique. Due to oil pulling, enzymes get activated that have a powerful detoxifying affect on your body. It helps to pull toxins, bacteria, fungus, and other nasty bugs from the mouth and the entire body.
This detoxifying technique has numerous health benefits. Some of the key benefits of Oil-Pulling are:
- Whitens your teeth and solves the problem of bad breath
- Prevents diseases of the gums and mouth, such as cavities and gingivitis
- Prevents dryness of the lips, mouth and throat
- Works as holistic treatment for TMJ and general soreness in the jaw area
- Helps detoxify the body of harmful metals and organisms
- Regulates menstrual cycle and provides relief from PMS
- Gives relief from nasal congestion and sinus
- Lessens the severity of asthma
- Reduces inflammation of arthritis and treats stiffness and joint pains
- Aids in the reduction of eczema
- Reduces symptoms of bronchitis
- Helps support normal kidney function
- Some people report improved vision
- Reduced hangover after alcohol consumption
- Reduces the symptoms of allergies
- Lessens migraine attacks and gives relief from migraine headache
It is also believed that oil pulling can also be helpful in health conditions like Cancer, Candida Overgrowth, Crohn’s Disease, Leukemia, Gastroenteritis, Heart Disease, Lung Disease, High Blood Pressure, Diabetes, Kidney Disease, Thrombosis, Ulcers, Insomnia, Varicose Veins, Malignant Tumors and even AIDS.
How to do oil pulling?
Before you jump on the bandwagon and start practicing oil pulling, you need to be aware of the process. When done in a correct manner, oil pulling can give you many health benefits. Oil pulling should be done first thing in the morning. If you do it after eating something, it may cause nausea. It can be done up to three times in a day (before breakfast, lunch, and dinner).
When you wake in the morning, drink a glass of water to cleanse your palate, and then floss your teeth.
Next measure a tablespoon of edible and cold-pressed oils like raw coconut oil or sesame oil. Slowly swish the oil in your mouth for 20 minutes or until the viscous oil turns thin and milky white. You must swish the oil in a very relaxed manner. Beginners can swish the oil in their mouth for five inutes, and slowly increase the time.
After the due time you must spit out the oil. Never swallow the oil as after swishing there will be lots of bad bacteria in it. Finally, rinse out your mouth properly with lukewarm water and brush your teeth as usual.
You can check this video to understand the process of oil pulling.
The process of oil pulling is very simple and anyone aged five years or more can practice it. Children aged 5-15 can use one teaspoon instead of one tablespoon of oil.
Oil pulling is truly a life-changing medical miracle which is simple, easy and highly effective. Practice with caution and this simple habit can make you healthy.